The South Australian State School Leaders Association (SASSLA) was formed in 2001 by a group of school leaders concerned the type of legal advice and support they needed was not forthcoming from other sources. With a starting membership of just 60 school leaders the Association has rapidly grown to include the majority of principals and many other leaders in our state education system. We really are an Association created by school leaders for school leaders!
Our membership is open to all leaders employed by DECD as Education Director, Principal, Deputy Principal, Assistant Principal or Senior Leader (Band B2 and above) of a school or recognised centre of learning, Director of a Preschool or Kindergarten or Manager of Support Services. Others in leadership positions in DECD may apply for membership if they have previously held a substantive school leadership role.
SASSLA is an Incorporated Association, managed by an Elected Board of school leaders. SASSLA retains a legal team through Tindall Gask Bentley Lawyers to assist members with legal and industrial matters. SASSLA is solely funded by members’ subscriptions which are tax deductible. Our mission is to be “The Voice for South Australian State School Leaders”.
What can we offer you?
- Access to free professional legal advice when you need it. Phone advice seven days a week and contact with a lawyer within a day.
- Representation individually or collectively before relevant courts, tribunals, authorities or government departments.
- Provision of a support person for complaint or grievance meetings pertaining to your role.
- Representation as your Bargaining Agent in Enterprise Bargaining negotiations with DECD.
- We provide a voice for school leaders, where specific views are diminished or undermined by the teacher voice.
- Members can attend a free annual State Educational Leadership Conference and various other free seminars and workshops.
- Professional legal advice at reduced cost for personal legal matters.
- Regular web, social media and e-news updates.
- Peer support, advice and mediation in matters affecting school leadership.
- Access to prompt professional public relations advice on urgent media management issues in times of crisis.
- Public relations and publicity assistance in respect to media strategies, internal communications, social media policies and other public relations matters.
We can assist you with:
- Workplace injury, public liability injury and Return to Work SA entitlements, processes and representation at case conferences and tribunal hearings.
- Defamation and vexatious allegations by staff members or parents/caregivers.
- Issues pertaining to social networking sites and social media policies.
- Assault and restraining orders.
- Allegations of breaches of code of conduct and misconduct investigations including ICAC.
- School review processes.
- Harassment and bullying in the workplace.
- Unfair dismissal, reinstatement of leave entitlements and other industrial matters.
- Protection of your industrial rights and entitlements.
- Opinion on dealing with students with disabilities.
- Interpretation of Government Acts.
- Implementation and interpretation of new DECD policies and procedures.